This Italian Focaccia Bread recipe is fun to prepare & is totally vegan. Focaccia Bread has a beautiful cakey texture that’s amazing for soaking up soups but also fab for dipping, toasting, or just how it comes. Once the recipe is prepared you can put whatever takes your fancy on the top, caramelized red onion, sundried tomatoes, olives & garlic cloves. I kept this one fairly simple to go with soup, although I must admit for me Sea Salt & Rosemary is just the perfect marriage.
Ingredients for Focaccia Bread
500 g Bread Flour
7 g Ready Yeast
2 tsp Salt
300 ml Room Temp Water
5-6 tbsp Olive Oil
Creating Focaccia Bread
- Wash Your Hands!
- In a large bowl add 500 g Bread Flour, 7 g Ready Yeast, 2 tsp Salt & give them a stir
- Prepare your room 300 ml Room Temp Water & pour in the 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- Make a parting in the Flour Mix & pour in the Water
- Get your hands in the bowl & combine the Flour & Water by giving it a good stir
- If you have a mixer with a bread hook, put the dough in there on medium to fast speed for 5 mins, halfway through stop & use a rubber spatula to unstick it from the bottom. If not get kneading on a well-floured surface by stretching the dough & folding it back on itself, repeating for 8-10 minutes.
- Pour a tbsp of Olive Oil in a large bowl (2-3 times the size of the bread dough) & coat the bowl with the Oil using clean hands
- Chuck the dough in the bowl, put the bowl inside a plastic bag & put somewhere warm (outside in the sun if possible)
- Leave for an hour (it may need longer if it’s not very warm) – it should double in size
Phase 3 (The Best Bit other than Phase 4)
- With clean hands pour a 1/2 tbsp of Olive Oil in a 30 cm tray, give it a good coat
- Keep those hands oiled to tip the risen dough into the tray and stretch out evenly to cover the tray. The dough should be about an inch thick (You can do thicker in a smaller tray)
- Now put the famous Focaccia marks on your bread with your finger, push into the bread marking roughly 3-4 cm apart
- Add the topping if using then drizzle with 1/2 tbsp of Olive Oil
- Top with Sea Salt Flakes & Freshly Ground Pepper
- Now put your bread in the oven & turn it on to Gas 5 (This basically gives its another little prove whilst heating up)
- Bake for 40 minutes
- You may find you have a slightly soggy bottom … but don’t worry. Flip it over and bake for another 10 minutes (it will be perfect & nobody will ever know)
- Cut it up and serve, amazing!
(If you cannot eat in one sitting let it cool freeze it for another day)