Pickled Gooseberries are a great accompaniment for salads. We highly recommend getting a Gooseberry bush for your garden. We have Gooseberry ‘Invicta’, which is a traditional english gooseberry bush. Gooseberries fruit on the previous years growth, so it’s important not to cut it back too often and give it room to grow!
Yields from the bushes are surprisingly large. This year we had 3.387 Kilos!
Ingredients for Pickled Gooseberries
400g fresh Gooseberries
350ml of White Wine Vinegar
1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds
5 dried Juniper Berries
Half Cucumber, thinly sliced in strips
60g Caster Sugar
Creating Pickled Gooseberries
Prep Time 30 Minutes
- First and Foremost Wash Your Hands!
- Top and tail 400g fresh Gooseberries and add to a large air-tight jar.
- Add the 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds, 1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds and 5 dried Juniper Berries to the jar.
- Add 350ml of White Wine Vinegar and 60g Caster Sugar to a saucepan and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Thinly slice the Half Cucumber and add to the jar.
- Place a metal spoon in the jar and pour in the cooled vinegar and sugar mix from the pan. Remove the spoon and seal the jar. Leave for a minimum of one week, shaking occasionally.