Sliceable Vegan Cheese
I have tried various Vegan Cheese Recipes, this Sliceable Vegan Cheese firms up nicely for slicing. It is also easily adaptable for total smoothness omit the cashew nuts & use additional smooth nut butter.
Ingredients for Sliceable Vegan Cheese
Makes a cheese sized block
- 150g Cashew Nuts
- 80ml Filtered water
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 1 tbsp Siracha Mayo
- 1 tbsp Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1 roasted Red Pepper
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 tbsp Agar Agar
- 250ml Filtered Water
- A good Blender. I recently got a Ninja Duo Blender for Fathers Day it is incredible & is an excellent tool for a Vegan Diet.
Creating Sliceable Vegan Cheese
Prep time 20 mins Set Time 1-2 hours
- Wash your hands
- Put the 150g Cashew Nuts & 80ml Filtered Water in the Blender, blend for 1 minute
- Add the 2 tbsp Coconut Oil, 1 tbsp Tahini, 1 tbsp Siracha Mayo, 1 tbsp Smooth Peanut Butter, 1 roasted Red Pepper, 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard & the 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast & blend for a further 2 minutes. If the mix gets stuck, stop & the blender & remove the jug safely & scrape down the sides. Ideally the mix should be fairly smooth.
- Put the mix in a bowl (you will be using the blender again)
- Give the mix a taste & season with Salt & Pepper
- You could also add a little Lemon Juice / Tabasco / Fresh or Dried Herbs
- When you are happy with the taste return to the Blender Jug
- In a small pan add 250ml Filtered Water & sprinkle 1 tbsp Agar Agar on the top
- Bring to the boil with occasional stirring for 1 minute & turn off the heat
- If your blender allows you to pour in liquid whilst blending, turn your blender on & slow pour the Agar Agar into the Cheese mix, blend for 1 minute (if your blender does not allow you to pour in liquids, just add it all at the start, you may need to stop a few times to scrape down the sides to ensure it combines properly)
- Now put the Cheese in a suitable mould lined with Greaseproof paper
- Put in the fridge for a few hours to set
Please note that Flora Buttery in the above picture is no longer Vegan, they have just started adding Buttermilk.