Vegan Cauliflower Cheese
There are a few ways of making a Vegan Cheese Sauce for dishes such as Macaroni Cheese and Cauliflower Cheese. For a method using Butternut Squash rather than Vegan Cheese check out the Vegan Macaroni Cheese Bake Recipe. However, as there are some good Vegan Cheeses now on the market at a much more affordable cost you can whip a Vegan Cheese Sauce in less than 10 minutes. This Vegan Cheese Sauce is made using a béchamel and can get a Vegan Cauliflower Cheese Bake on the table in less than half an hour.
Ingredients for Vegan Cauliflower Cheese
Serves 6 (half the recipe for a smaller batch)
- 2 Large Cauliflower
- 2 heaped tbsp Vegan Margarine (I use Pure Buttery Spread)
- 4 heaped tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 Litre Soy Milk (Unsweetened – Fresh or UHT is fine)
- 1 tsp English Mustard
- 200g (1 bag) Grated Vegan Cheese (I use Violife)
- Breadcrumbs (We always have a large bag of Panko Breadcrumbs in the cupboard)
- Dried Mixed Herbs
Creating Vegan Cauliflower Cheese
- Remove the leaves from the Cauliflower’s and the florets away from the thick stalk. Put in a large saucepan and cover with water. This can go straight on the hob on full heat. Just keep an eye on it so that you do not overcook it. When it is cooked to your preference (usually 10-15 minutes), drain the Cauliflower over a colander and set aside.
- Whilst the Cauliflower is cooking begin the sauce. Scoop out 2 heaped tablespoons of Vegan Margarine and gently melt over a low heat in a saucepan big enough for 1 Litre of Vegan Cheese Sauce
- When melted whisk in the 4 heaped tablespoons of Plain Flour. This will make a thick paste (béchamel)
- Slowly incorporate the Soya Milk into the paste, whisking in 100-200ml at a time, the paste will turn a lighter colour and start to take a cream-like consistency (do not flood the paste with Soya Milk or you will end up with lumps)
- Once all the Soya Milk os incorporated, add 1 tsp of English Mustard and whisk in the 200g Vegan Grated Cheese. Let this cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Taste the Vegan Cheese Sauce and season with Salt and Pepper
- Add the Vegan Cheese Sauce to the Cauliflower and stir together
- If you are making a bake put in a suitable oven proof dish, scatter a handful of Breadcrumbs and a sprinkle of Dried Mixed Herbs over the top and put under the grill on a low heat until browned