White Bean & Quinoa Gumbo
This recipe is based on White Bean & Quinoa Gumbo from Vegan Slow Cooking – For two or just for you by Kathy Hester. A hot and spicy treat for the end of a cold day.
Ingredients for White Bean & Quinoa Gumbo
100g Dried Butter Beans
4 Cloves of Garlic
1 tsp Dried Oregano
(or mixed herbs/thyme/rosemary)
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
(This is what makes the soup hot can be substituted with chilli Powder or paprika)
1 tbsp Vegan Boullion
1 Onion Cube
(or just a sliced or diced onion)
2 sticks Celery
2 Allspice Berries
1 tbsp Salt
330g Baby Plum Tomatoes
1/2 tsp Cumin
Prep time 30 minutes
Cook time 8.5 hours in Slow Cooker or Cast Iron Pan such as a Le Creuset
Cooking White Bean & Quinoa Gumbo
- First and Foremost Wash Your Hands!
- Thickly slice the 175g Okra
- Add to your cooking vessel with the 100g Dried Butter Beans (if using tinned add them in second phase) 1 tsp Dried Oregano, 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper, 1 tbsp Vegan Boullion,1 Onion Cube and 1 tbsp Salt
- Peel 4 Cloves of Garlic (take off the ends, slit down the side makes it easiest) and grate into the same pot
- Pour in the 1250ml Water, stir and cook on slow (usually lowest oven setting) for 8 hours.
- Slice 330g Baby Plum Tomatoes into 3 slices (bigger toms would be better diced) and add them to the pan
- Add the 75g Quinoa and 1/2 tsp Cumin
- If you like it really hot you can add some more chilli powder at this stage.
- Cook for a further 30 minutes
- Taste for seasoning and ladle into bowls